"Tri-power TBI's

Kurek, Larry lkurek at anl.gov
Wed Dec 9 17:46:06 GMT 1998

<SNIP>

> Run the center unit injectors as the primaries, run the end
> units as the
> secondaries, and use the drive by wire actuator which
> normally operates the
> secondary throttle on the Vette to operate the end TBI unit throttles.
> After all, none of the stock tri-powers were mechanical
> linkage throttles
> anyway!

Yikes! Think about this one for a second... If the ECM opens the rear
throttle bodies (i.e. the secondary ports in the ZR1), what is going to
control acceleration? Recall, in the ZR1 engine, the secondary valve is
downstream of the throttle body, so while you increased the overall flow
potential through the head (while not adversely affecting velocity at lowe
RPM), you still had the gross control of the throttle body, which is
controlled by you :)  If you used the ECM to open up the back TB's, hold on!
Now, if you controlled the opening to correspond to say, a 50%-100% curve of
the primary throttle body, while maintaining a POSITIVE shut off
mechanism...that would be cool :) Only bad thing I can think of with this
though, is that the secondary valve control is an on-off switch, not a
stepper motor control (i.e. IAC valve)....but I could be wrong.

> Doesn't have to be a Vette computer--just something that could be
> programmed that way and with the right sort of I/O capabilities to get
> there.
>
> You could even use the "valet key" feature--lock out the end
> units until
> enabled.

<SNIP>

TTYL!