LT1, Crossfire, etc.., Intake runner lengths

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Fri Dec 11 05:15:31 GMT 1998

>   I have been under the impression that long intake runners are for
>  low-end torque, and short runners are for high RPMs.  What type of project
>  are you considering?  Maybe then we could get some folks to analysie it in
>  greater detail.

Yep, I was of the same understanding, just looking for RPM ranges.
 I bumped into an old racer buddy the other day and stopped
by his garage.  He's got a '68 Camaro drag car, 355 chev, .
.700 lift roller cam, 850 holley carb,  13:1 comp, powerglide trans...
  He says there is no way a GM ECM system will replace his
Holley & dual point dissy and still  turn 9.90s...

I told him to build a low comp shortblock and
put some turbos on it with a milder cam, and the EFI will knock
his socks off..   Their are 3.8 liter Buicks that weigh 1,000
pounds more than his car, that earn quicker timeslips.
He likes loud cars and hates my turbo talk..
Gets upset when I call him a caveman..
He is still considering a naturally aspirated EFI setup..
His roller cam doesn't pull much vac at idle which has me a
little hesitant to try a MAP system.  Another concern is that
his engine regularly sees 8500 RPM.  I don't think that the
GM ECM can do that.  Not sure though..
Thanks,
Mike V