Strange Air Trap

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Tue Dec 15 22:13:53 GMT 1998

Clarence Wood wrote:

> Hi all,
>   a mechanic friend of mine has asked me on several occasions if I could explain a strange type of air trap that is on 80+ autos.  Today he asked again.  Here are the particulars:
>   1994 Chevy S10, 4.3L V6.  On the air intake tube, close to the radiator support, there is a small opening on the top of the tube less than an inch square, that leads to a large, molded, plastic buble.  This plastic buble is empty and does not have anything attached.
>   My guess is that it is some kind of air dampener.
>   Does any body know why?
>

> Clarence Wood
> Software&Such...
> 1982 280zx Turbo
> Savannah, Tn.

Clarence,
  I believe this is a resonator of some kind. I think it's just a way of controlling the natural frequency of the intake tract to keep the noise down. My brother's Toy PU has one - it's totally straight-thru, the intake duct runs through an enclosed cylinrical chamber
with a tiny hole on the outside.
  Hope this helps.
Aaron Willis