Boiler Compound

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Wed Dec 16 21:34:35 GMT 1998

Robert Harris wrote:

> Surfing around the internet I ran into this very interesting compound - made
> by Olin - called Scav-Ox. Either
> case would have to blend with acetone first and then with fuel as its only 35%
> compound and 65% water.  Great spiker for water/alcohol injection.
>
> Interesting discovery ( for me ).  Products like Scav-Ox which contains NH2 do
> not like H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) or NO2 ( Nitro Methane, propane , benzene )
> much.   Guess that's ok cause Scav-Ox  ( Probably from Scavenge Oxygen - a bad
> chemical in boilers ) should make lots of power by itself if used as an
> additive.
>
> H           H
>    \       /
>     N - N         or more conventionally   N2H4 active ingredient 35%
>   /       \
> H         H
>
> or for the chemically challenged ( like myself )
>
> Hydrazine Monohydrate  N2H4-H2O

I have used Anhydrous Hydrazine (from the chem lab) (N2H4OH). It breaks down into
amonia and water in sunlight or when not tightly sealed. It is caustic and the
fumes will burn your eyes. 5cc per gallon is great. 10cc is max amount. More than
1 pint per tankful is dangerous. It is some kind of combustion catalyst.

Engines run smoother, make more power and RPM a lot better and higher and
smooooother, like an old tired motor that likes to RPM. If you are driving by the
seat of your pants (forget to LOOK at the tach.), you are likely to be over 7500
before you know it (with a 6K motor), which is the cause of most explosions.

It was outlawed by the NHRA because it causes the breakdown of nitromethane, leave
a cupful of mixed fuel in a coffee can in the sun for 15 min and throw rocks at
it.. It becomes a class A explosive. Drain it on the ground and it may
spontaniously (sp) combust.

Getting rid of the water from Scav-Ox so you can mix it with gas is a problem, but
for water injection --- just the ticket.

I also found out about amyle nitrate (sp) - nitrated alcohol in diesel fuel. We
did some experimenting with it while trying to use diesahol ??? in diesels. Pure
Ethanol will not "fire" easily without a spark, trouble for Diesels, AmN was used
to raise the Ctain(?) rating and get it to burn in a compression ignition mode.

They did run better and make a little more power, but they were not cost
effective... it's really hard to beat good #2 DF. General thought was that it
would take more than 20% AmN to do any dammage and that much probably would not
make 10% more power.

Regards  Tom