VATS

Ross Myers ponty at axis.jeack.com.au
Thu Dec 17 06:48:17 GMT 1998

>Does anyone know how to defeat the Vehicle Anti-Theft System (VATS) on the
>92 Camaro 3.1L V6 ECM.  I'm transplanting this engine into an Opel GT and
>certainly don't need the resistor-key ignition system.  I thought I could
>just ground that input of the ECM but an after market company tells me I
>need to buy a $150 VATS module that sends a frequency pulse to the ECM.
>Advice please???
>
>Mike Pilkenton

Hi Mike,

A while back I needed to do this to an 89 Vette, thankfully the wizzes on
this list told me how to to this in the PROM. I don't know what the 92
Camaro uses as an ECM, but you need to get an EPROM read from this ECM so
some of us may start looking for you.
Doing it in the EPROM is much better than the external 30Hz oscillator idea
IMHO.

While we are on this, surely GM aren't still using this method in todays
ECM's/PCM's?.

Regards

Ross Myers