Water Injection

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Dec 18 00:29:11 GMT 1998

>WE ALLWAYS HEAR ABOUT WATER INJECTION FOR TURBO OR BLOWN CARS. WHAT ABOUT
>NORMALLY ASPORATED CARS
>IS THERE ANY BENIFIT IN INSTALLING WATER INJECTION HERE. FOR EXAMPLE HIGH
>COMPRESSION ETC...

YES, THERE IS!!

But read my long post about timing water squirt with inhale, and putting a
well atomized squirt close to the intake valve. Displacement of combustion
air by water vapor is a WAY more critical issue with an NA engine, cuz you
cannot just turn the boost up another notch to make up the difference!!!
The reduction in HP from crudely done water injection is prolly why you
have not heard much about it for NA stuff.

Like I said before, not hard data yet, but my calcs indicate that the
reduction in work of compression with PROPERLY DONE H2O injection may well
lead to diesel-like bsfc numbers under highway cruise load/speed
conditions--and this applies regardless of whether an engine is boosted or
NA.

Regards, Greg