Flow rates for nozzles

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Dec 18 04:40:42 GMT 1998

>I need to mess around with the atomization aspect to see what pressure will
>do the trick.  I want to keep the pressure lower rather than higher just for
>cost's sake but will implement whatever works.

Awfully tempting to go lower on the pressure and try air assisted atomization!!

 where the water and fuel were either mixed prior to injection or
>injected simultaneously.

BINGO!

The former wouldn't be much different than a
>direct port nitrous setup.  The latter injectors do exist but I have never
>seen one for sale.

I'll be the owl--WHO???

 They'd be too pricey anyway.  I'll be injecting either
>immediately before the throttle plate or immediately after right into the
>plenum.

Doing this will limit your water quantity, cuz the H2O vapor will begin to
seriously dilute combustion air in the intake tract, and thus lose you
power at pretty low water mass flow rates.

>The amount of water you quote sounds quite high unless I am misinterpretting
>your terms.

No, you got them right. What I calculated was how much water it would take
to get the same total heat of vaporization from water plus a stoich mixture
of gasoline as one would get from a stoich mixture of methanol on an engine
flowing the same amount of air. But you have to evaporate the water mostly
after the intake valve closes in order to not displace a lot of air and
lose power. Thus the need to inject the water close to the valve, and to
time squirt to coincide with inhale.

>> From what Bruce says, it sounds as though a mechanical (engine
>> driven) high
>> pressure water pump would be a good idea both so as to shed electrical
>> overhead and so as to improve efficiency. DSR (Memphis, Tenn.) makes gear
>> type FUEL pumps which are entirely hard anodized AND polymer coated on all
>> internals as well. These units oughtta live pumping CLEAN water, but $$$
>> again!
>
>Yeah, makes sense.  In my particular situation, however, mounting a
>mechanical pump will be rather tricky and likely not worth the grief.  I am
>pretty much resigned to using an electric pump.
>
>I believe I have a decent controller alogrithm worked out which will not
>require external sensors except for MAP.  Now to get around to implementing
>it.

You are making perfect sense, I am just chasing MORE!! :-)

>Regards,

Greg