water injection

Gregory A. Parmer gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu
Fri Dec 18 17:32:27 GMT 1998

> One person claimed that it actually helps clean the combustion chamber. Any
> one ever notice that after a car is over hauled that it gets faster and
> faster, that is because the coke insulates the chamber so instead of the
> heat giong into the water jacket it does some useful work. In addition does

The problem however, is that the coke also retains heat and causes
pre-ignition on the next cycle. A shiny clean chamber can reflect
heat. I'm told the ceramic coatings like techline are excellent at
keeping heat in the combustion chamber.

FWIW--I've run an engine on a mix of gasoline and water (w/ a detergent
to allow mixing) and actually gotten a performance increase.  Winter is a
great time for doubters to play lawnmower games and run cheap experiments.
Water has some awesome properties that can be taken advantage of at
normal (as far as an engine goes) temperatures.

Back to the original question...Gasoline injectors might be OK
for short term water injection. Corrosion would almost certainly be
a problem when the water is allowed to sit in the injectors (like
while you're away on vacation). If experiments are  done please let us
know how it turns out.

-greg