WRC, was Flow rates for nozzles

James Montebello jamesm at talarian.com
Fri Dec 18 23:52:11 GMT 1998

I'm stunned by the general lack of knowledge on this list about
motorsports outside the US. :-) (Ozzies excluded, of course ;-).

WRC is "World Rally Championship", a series that's run just
about everywhere except the US.  Races are run over several
days in a series of point-to-point timed runs over dirt and
gravel roads; sometimes muddy, sometimes snow-covered.  The
cars are typically Japanese and European "specials" built by
the factory on production FWD & 4WD hatchback chassis.  Once
upon a time (a few years ago), in the days of Group B, there
were 4WD cars with engines in strange places (lots of
mid-engined cars that looked like plain FWD hatchbacks) running turbos,
superchargers, or both (Lancia Delta).  500hp was a
typical power figure.  Now the top cars probably run about half
that. Top speeds are low, so the engines are tuned for gobs of
torque.  The drivers in this series (mostly Finns, for some
reason) are the best in the world for sheer car control, and
every last one of them is utterly barking mad.