Ignition theory

James Montebello jamesm at talarian.com
Sat Dec 19 19:22:26 GMT 1998

I'm sure everyone on this list is familiar with the idea that
ignition advance increases with engine speed.  However, a number
of the newer ignition systems take load into account to alter
the timing.  I would suppose that one retards as load increases
(wild guess there).  Any general relationships?  Most of the
systems I've seen use throttle angle to indirectly measure load.
Is it likely they take a rate of change into account as well?
If so, what would be the general behavior for a given rate of
change?

Just trying to get a discussion going...

james montebello