water injection

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Sat Dec 19 23:16:42 GMT 1998

Barry E. King wrote:

> [...]

Documented fact - water in the combustion chamber removes carbon. A
leaky head gasket allowing water into a cyl will "steam clean" it very
well - one of the best indicators that water has gotten in is the
comparative lack of carbon. Mechanics have used a very crude "water
injection" for this very purpose for years.
> > Any
> > one ever notice that after a car is over hauled that it gets faster and
> > faster, that is because the coke insulates the chamber so instead of the
> > heat giong into the water jacket it does some useful work.
>
> > In addition does water not cause rusting?
>
> Oxidation can occur but it is highly unlikely a _properly_ set up water
> injection system will cause any more oxidation than the water that is
> already present as a byproduct of combustion.  Cylinder temperatures are
> around 2000 F so any water that's in there goes out with the exhaust.

Anywhere the water exists as water, and not "dry steam" corrosion is a
distinct possibility. Particularly in the "injectors"
Get a bit of water into the fuel on an EFI engine and let it sit a
couple of weeks - then try to figure out why it runs like doggy-doo.
Been there, done that - got the T Shirt.

> > Water injection is just a reason for doing a poor
> > job, if you want an engine to give 600 bhp and there is a chance you may
> > blow it because it is being pushed to the limit, do not build it.

I would tend to agree. Proper design will not require water injection -
and water injection will not fix poor design - just mask the symptoms.