water injection

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Sun Dec 20 00:25:40 GMT 1998

My turn to beat the dead horse.

Turbo street motors on 93 premium NL with too much compression and boost (like
short-shorts that are too short... right) need a little water under boost to
control detonation / temp / power etc. If it also cools the charge, so much the
better. Alcohol would also work as would NOx + extra fuel.

I have run a NA gas motor with NOx and alcohol in the NOx system (two fuel tanks
and pumps). I think it would have run better as an alcohol motor with NOx and
Gas injection. I have also run carburated gasohol at 14/1 compression.... 20%
gas 80% alcohol .... the rules weren't specific.

Maximum Effort Turbo Gas motors need the best intercooling they can find, and
water makes a great crutch. so do the others mentioned. Water could help if the
entire system was designed from the turbo down with H2O injection in the mix. I
also suspect that alcohol would work better than water. Someone needs to tell me
50/50 ethanol/methanol/water or ??? works the best.

Max effort Diesels open up a whole new can of worms. As the pullers need 10
seconds while the European trucks need an hour, their requirements (and rules)
are unique. I suspect (but have no proof)  that spiking the water with alcohol
at 50/50 would work better than 100% water. I also suspect that straight alcohol
at 50% of fuel weight would also work better than straight water. 50% alcohol
(33% total fuel??) might be hard to burn, so spike it with gasoline. If you
could monitor combustion temperatures, adjust the rations as required.

I suspect that some of you are now running to the dyno room with a bottle of
Vodka to test out these ideas.  Remember, your results may vary, and there is no
warranty expressed or implied....

Merry Christmas  Tom