water injection

Pedro Haynes edwards at mail.sunbeach.net
Sun Dec 20 13:30:15 GMT 1998

>I disagree here. I think there is a lot of unexplored potential for
>improvement with sophisticated water injection. For instance--what might
>happen with DIRECT (straight into the chamber, after the intake valve has
>closed) water injection? Some very interesting (buckets of caffeine, and
>several Excedrin) thermodynamica involved if one tried it this way!!!
>
>Regards, Greg

Now we are getting some where when it comes to water injection. I can see
water injection working if there is DIRECT injected after the combustion
stroke. Before the piston reaches TDC when there is as little exhaust gas
in the chamber and just before the piston starts its downward trip.

(1) You woukld not want to inject the water with a full chamber of exhaust
gases (would require too much water + it would take too much energy out of
the exhaust gases, you turbo nuts know this).

(2)Injection at the right time may also aid cylinder filling. Hot air takes
up more room than cooler air, the hot air will contract, when the water is
injected, and create a pressure drop, It may suck the exhaust bach in the
chamber, or it may suck the intake gasses in. Intake and exhaust design
will be such that you get the the intake being sucked in.

It took me just about 1/2 an hour to brain storm this, so it may have some
flaws.

Pedro