broken turbo

West, David djwest at subcorp.com.au
Mon Dec 21 01:09:17 GMT 1998

Hello All

Thanks to those of you who replied to my queries.

I have since bypassed my turbo which made no difference. So therefore
that should be ok.

I checked the compression again, which was all within 5 PSI but the
plugs smelt very fuely  . They looked oily but when the fuel
evaporated they remained sooty - I am pretty sure I have a fuel
problem.

I checked my hot wire flow meter on the bench. It is within spec both
statically and dynamically but dynamically with the vacuum cleaner
going, the voltage is 4.0 volts which is the max allowable but the
flow from the vacuum cleaner would be somewhat less than the engine I
would have thought. Based on this, I reckon that the flow meter is
telling the ECCM the wrong info and the ECCM is then injecting more
fuel than required.

The engine is a stock aussie holden VL commodore turbo, nissan RB30
straight 6 cyl 3 litre.

I am getting injector pulse width of 2.4 msec at 1000 rpm. This is
more than 1/5 total width. Based on an engine that produces 200 bhp at
around 6000 rpm this means that I am injecting enough fuel for about
40 hp. This can't be right.

Does anyone out there know what an approximate pulse width at 1000 rpm
would be for an engine like this one.

Regards,

David West