Torque Converter Lock-Ups

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Dec 23 20:48:02 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Heflin <rah at horizon.hit.net>
Subject: Re: Torque Converter Lock-Ups

My point was that in KV's Blazer, which had a 747 is different from what
your 93
calibration is.  Then on the TBI 82-92 Camaros was different from the TPI,
and
the Caprice different yet.  On the 700R4 some used a 3rd gear switch some
used
a 3+4th gear switch some used a overheat switch, so there are variants.
  Most commonly on the gms the TCC power feed is from the fuse box to a
brake
switch on the brake pedal arm to the TCC solenoid, then switches in the
valve body, and then to the ecm.
Bruce

>In 3rd gear, it locks up a WOT (full load at 95mph.)  I will get back
>to you what the exact conditions are.  I am completing the flowchart
>of the routine that does this to more fully understand what it is
>doing.   I know under my tests it locks up at 95 under WOT, so I would
>also assume it would be locked up under any lessor load.  I have not
>noticed it locking up in 2nd gear, and in 4th gear it appears to be
>locked above 50 (at light loads).  I don't really know about wot in
>4th as I have to be doing about 130-140 to get there.  95 in 3rd
>locks up before the end of the 1/4 so is pretty easy to test.  But
>after I have the routine flowcharted I will add it to my web page.
>
> Roger
>
>On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 kv at us.ibm.com wrote:
>

>> SO is the TCC lockup/unlock based only on MPH and the brake switch?  No
>> info on load is used??

>>   Kevin Vannorsdel     IBM Arm Electronics Development
>>     408-256-6492                Tie 276-6492     kv at us.ibm.com
>>

>> "Bellsouth" <n5xmt at bellsouth.net> on 12/23/98 09:16:30 AM
>>
>> Please respond to diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
>>
>> To:   diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
>> cc:    (bcc: Kevin Vannorsdel/San Jose/IBM)
>> Subject:  Re: Torque Converter Lock-Ups
>>

>> Roger,
>> There is a solenoid in the trans that controls lockup, and a valve in the
>> valve body that inhibits it until 2nd gear.
>> Grounding pin F of your ALDL connector will hold the TCC locked in 2nd,
3rd
>> and OD. (Unless you step on the brakes...)
>> Not sure exactly where it is in your chip, but there should be an apply
MPH