spiralmax

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Sun Dec 27 03:04:22 GMT 1998

In a message dated 12/26/98 1:27:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
darkmonahue at awwwsome.com writes:

<< Daniel Peper wrote:

 > Have any of you guys heard of a product called SpiralMax, its a piece of
 > metal that has fixed blades on it and you put it inside the intake hose and
 > it supposedly swirls the air causing a turbocharge type of effect.  their
 > webpage is at http://www.spiralmax.com/
 >
 > I just want to know what you guys think. >>

Wow, those who don't know the past are doomed to repeat it. When I was racing
Flattrack Triumphs about 15 year ago this I saw this idea. There were
companies selling inserts for intake manifolds, and even mesh screens in the
base gaskets to increase turbulence. I heard you coud get them at Fairs from
about 1930 along with the snake oil.  Suzuki as I recall even cast turbulence
vanes into the intake ports. We ground them out when we went looking for
power. Unless you have over ported ported the heads and intake to a point that
the fuel is puddling in it, it is a joke. They might help on low velocities
like at idle.

On a related note, has anyone done any dyno work related to HP vs degrees of
injector pulse and pulse timing? I had wondered if running a small injector
near the port, and a larger one running centered above the intake trumpet with
a plenum might make any improvements in a wide range streetable unit. Seems
some of the F1 units did this. but I never got much info.
Fred Harmon