Water Injection Thread

Pedro Haynes edwards at mail.sunbeach.net
Wed Dec 30 07:01:39 GMT 1998

If fact, I've done some tests on a non-turbo'd engine using a water-based
intercooler system, whereas the intake charge temperature was a constant 60
degrees, irregardless of the ambient air.  And yes, I made more power.  How
much power?  30 HP?  Is that worth a complex water intercooled system,
custom plumbed with all sorts of bizarre fabrication on an engine running a
9:1 c/r

What was the displacement of the engine?
And how much power encrease would one expect to make with a non
turbocharged intercooled engine? Most of the race cars I know of have a
solution for this, ther have what is called a cold air box. The air is
taken form outside the engine compartment, which will be ambient
temperature. Now you intercool non turbocharged car with water/air, where
the water will be cooled by ambient air, the only result will be that the
air will be at a higher temperature than ambient air (we all know of
efficiency).

So in theory you could have run a cold air box, lag the outside to avoid
heat contamination, and make the same 30 HP

now let me see if i can make a little calculation. (just off tyhe top of my
head)

you made 30 HP through cooler air non turbo (i hope I got you right and the
engine was not supercharged)

So you were running at about 14psi atmospheric pressure, 0.7 is not going
to hurt

so   14+32/ 14 =3.285
this is 228.5% increase in power

So if you could intercool as efficientely on the non-turbo engine as the
turbo engine, this should be your power level.

My $0.50 worth

Pedro