Water Injection Thread

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Dec 30 13:54:40 GMT 1998

>What was the displacement of the engine?

4.1L overboard .030 (252 cid + .030)

>And how much power encrease would one expect to make with a non
>turbocharged intercooled engine? Most of the race cars I know of have a

Not that much, though it did make more than not being intercooled, and this
was part of the test.

>the water will be cooled by ambient air, the only result will be that the
>air will be at a higher temperature than ambient air (we all know of
>efficiency).

This is true, with the exception the water intercooler system drew water
from an ice box, which is much colder than ambient air, at least for a
while.  A dyno test doesn't have cooler ambient air, simply because where
the dyno was located in our case, the space is very hot, full of paint
fumes, and has horrible airflow.  This I would imagine is not the norm.

>So in theory you could have run a cold air box, lag the outside to avoid
>heat contamination, and make the same 30 HP

This is true.  The engine dyno testing we did was our attempt at
determining what power, temperature, level of boost, etc, intercooling was
required, what of the above brought detonation, etc.

>you made 30 HP through cooler air non turbo (i hope I got you right and the
>engine was not supercharged)

Oh, oh, oh, my 30 HP comment in my prior message was not a true HP
statement - it was merely a sarrcastic comment attempting to say
"Intercooling a N/A engine doesn't really help very much."

Frederic Breitwieser
Fairfield County CT
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/
1989 500cid Twin-Turbo HMMV