oops... (was Re: Nology)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Wed Dec 30 21:58:18 GMT 1998

;>--------

>My comment regarding the Nology and Spiralmax discussion was
>inappropriate and not well thought out. I offer the list members my
>apologizes. The discussion has stayed mostly technical and
>mostly related to engine performance. (Perhaps I have a deep rooted
>hate towards "snake oil" type advertisements and products with poor
>technical merits...:)
>
>Happy New Years everyone.
>
>john Gwynne

Hi John--

I suspect that we all share those feelings pretty strongly!! From my
personal perspective for two reasons: First, it wastes a lot of time,
money, or both sorting out the good from the bad, and, Second, it only
takes a tiny bit of snake oil to coat all of the people who try to do
things right, leaving them all with a huge crediblility hurdle to overcome
amongst folks who have interest in such products (either for use or for
regulation) but who do not have the
education/training/experience/knowlege/inclination/capability to
distinguish good from useless products!!

We seem to have a good sized collection of VERY capable people on this
list, and I suspect that many (all?) of them enjoy a LOT of credibility (in
the areas of list expertise) among fair sized circles of acquaintances away
from the list. So, without getting into the legal issues, a little bit of
awareness as to who is currently selling snake oil can indeed go a long
way! And I, for one,  DO indeed appreciate the time saved by avoiding the
need to evaluate one more piece of junk!!

While I am at it: MANY MOST SINCERE THANKS for your efforts in making this
list possible, John !! :-) It is not only invaluable, it has motivated me
to expand my knowlege of things automotive considerably, and it has become
a looked forward to and very enjoyable part of my daily routine!

And, while I am straying off list subjects--has anyone else seen the news
about a British photographer having applied for a patent for using what is
known in his trade as a "slave flash unit" for many non-photographic
applications, one of which was mounting such a unit as one would mount
either a driving and/or a back-up light for the purpose of completely
washing out the film image in a photo-radar camera???? :-) (I happen to
hate big brother stuff every bit as much as I hate snake oil!!)

A most happy and prosperous new year to all!! And most especially to John,
Orin, and Steve, and all of theirs!

Regards, Greg