Drive by wire and the wish to survice the experience.

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 31 20:48:45 GMT 1998

At 03:36 PM 12/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>It would kill both sides, but your control circuit would know
>*immediately* that there was a failure. Any setup, with any
>number of levels of redundancy, can *still* fail. The key point
>then is that you be able to *know* it's failed. An ordinary TPS
>setup gives you no such luxury; this slight change does, with
>almost no extra hardware. There's nothing to stop you from running
>dual (triple, quad, etc) TPSs as well, depending how much
>redundancy you need, as opposed to failsafe, which is what I said
>this trick does. (Though personally I'd consider an LVDT on the
>throttle cable as backup instead, in my experience they're more
>reliable.)

Actually, the TPS does have a way of knowing there is a failure...
In the cal, they program max hi and min low voltages that are valid... If
the TPS input falls outside this range, it disables TPS, and estimates TPS
from MAF or MAT and RPM etc.
Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.