Electronic valve control

Kevin W. Krooss kwk at echonyc.com
Sat Feb 7 09:42:23 GMT 1998

> Scott Shotton wrote:
> >
> > delsol wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone had any experience with electronic control of  engine valves?
> > > Daniel
> >
> > This idea has crossed my mind before.  Computer controled valves would
> > be an invaluable tool.  Infinate duration and timing posibilities.
> > However, as far as I know, solenoid technology is not good enough for
> > that particular application.  I wish it were!

I'm sure I'm way over my head here but...

Possibly using a solenoid not to actuate the valve but to engage and
disengage a normal valve/cam drive. Imagine a shaft sitting between the
valve arm and the cam, when the solenoid retracts it creates a gap that
prevents the cam from touching the valve so the valve stays closed.

Or a solenoid that shifts the cam into a position where it misses the valve
and just spins free.

                  cam _
                     | |  ->
                      -