Tuning O2sensor Knock Sensor Engine Damage

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 03:38:23 GMT 1998

<<
 > This sounds suspect. My street car (10.4:1 compression) detonates
 > just a touch at WOT on 93 octane. If what you are saying is true, I
 > would loose torque (and therefore power) if I ran AVGAS.
 >
 > I don't believe this for a second, what's your source for this
 > information?. Who's R&D?

 I race a GMC Sycclone, and many of my friends race turbo buicks.
We use a scan tool or diacom to record a run, and review it to make
sure the knock retard didn't go beyond say 5 or 6 degrees for the Syclone,
and say, 8-10 degrees for the Buick.  That, and the O2 readings are the most
critical things to check.  If there is no knock retard at all, you add a
little
more timing, or a little more boost.  If the knock retard numbers were higher
than what you wanted, then you simply reduce the timing or boost and make
another run.   The o2 sensor readings can be fine tuned by adjusting fuel
pressuere
up & down, after you get them close with a good chip..

There are, of course, flaws in any system.  A potential killer for the Syclone
is that KennBell made a chip that disabled the knock retard in the ECM.  So
there you
are, cranking up the boost, watching the knock-numbers, and all of the sudden,
your crankshaft decides to leave you.  Regardless of the mods you make, be
 careful, and monitor what's happening as well as you can...
MIke V