Tuning O2sensor Knock Sensor Engine Damage

Tony Cooper tony.cooper at virgin.net
Wed Feb 11 08:43:52 GMT 1998

Tony Bryant wrote:

<GerrrrSnippen>

> This sounds suspect. My street car (10.4:1 compression) detonates
> just a touch at WOT on 93 octane. If what you are saying is true, I
> would loose torque (and therefore power) if I ran AVGAS.
>
> I don't believe this for a second, what's your source for this
> information?. Who's R&D?

The amount of detonation when the engine is detonating at maximum torque
cannot usually be heard by us mere humans. If you can hear it, then it
is detonating to much. This is why we use complex electronics, as they
are somwhat more sensitive than us. If you are using higher octane fuel,
then this detonation limit is obviously moved further up the torque
value, but the detonation at maximum torque gives more power still
applies !.

My R&D sources of this information are as follows.

Ricardo PLC (Based just down the road from where I live)
AVL (Competitor to Ricardo's, - they do engine development for EVERY
engine producer in the world!)
SAE paper 885065 - usefull, but not quite there....
and of course, our own engine experience (Not as much as above, but
still some)

Tony

--
Sent By Tony Cooper.
email: tony.cooper at virgin.net
Allow at least 10 working minutes for reply. ;)