starter/alternator

Peter Orban peter at peter237.imti.nrc.ca
Wed Feb 11 13:56:29 GMT 1998

> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:18:30 -0500
> Subject: Re: Electronic valve control
>

> > A few years back, I beleivein a Popular mechanics mag, there was a short
> > article about a pancake starter/alternator mounted UNDER the flywheel. It
> > was strange to the tester cause there was of course, no gear grind from a
> > typicaly starter, as the system was inductive.

A similar concept was used by DKW (part of Auto Union at that time) in the
'30s. The dynamo/starter was attached to the crankshaft of their 2-cylinder,
2-stroke, watercooled 600 ccm and 700 ccm engines in the FWD Meisterklasse car.
It was called the dynastarter. The same drivetrain with the dynastarter
reappeared after WWII, just swapped around, as the P70, the forerunner of the
Trabant from East Germany.

Peter

Peter E. Orban
National Research Council of Canada