NTK and Bosch meters

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Thu Feb 12 03:54:16 GMT 1998

> Hey guys. I'm gettin kinda curious about these two sensors and their
> various meters. So, Frank, could you mention what the Bailey meter
> costs, roughly, and does he have a site on the web that offers them? I
> couldn't find one; only his email address. I've seen the Motec price
> list...wow! And also, I have read the traffic on the NTK sensors with
> interest, but where are there *meters* available that use this type
> sensor? Does NTK/NGK themselves make said meters?
>
> TIA,
> Garfield

Both meters are fairly expensive with the Bailey meter used with the
LSM-11 sensor costing about $1100 including the sensor which is around
$180 or so. The official Bosch LA-2 for the lsm is 4-5K$-way out of line
for the even semipro.

The NTK interface was put inside the Haltech meter a # of years ago.
I have only seen a couple. Not even sure if available anymore.
NTK has sold the a/f marketing right to Horiba here in Ann Arbor. A
very nice meter but they mark it way up at $2400. Costs only $1060 from
NTK directly but have to sign statement that is being used for ecm or
some other kind of development, not a/f measurement.
As you saw the Motec meter is high $-about $2500 I think.

An interesting development is that the new FelPro aftermarket ecm can
do closed loop wot which certainly makes tuning much easier- just enter
your tarket a/f #'s in VE vs rpm and map table. Also has limits on
amount of O2 correction. Demo software I saw at PRI seemed to show
you could see the logged a/f #,s and corrections so in effect you have a
wide range a/f meter and fi cpu for about what you would pay for some of
the existing meters. Have not seen an official price list for FelPro
so do not know for sure. Maybe someone will pipe up who has used one.
The FelPro uses the NTK sensor,  a version of which is used in the
Honda HF?.
I have a DFI for a project not quite finished and I think I remember a
post from someone who said DFI has retrofits using NTK?? Anyone else
remember??

Regards,

Frank Parker