Can too much advance be bad?

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Feb 14 18:36:03 GMT 1998

ref Roger Fiengold:
  Been there done that..  The only way to set the WOT
correctly is by testing.  Use a G-Tech, or timer like I
expalined a few days ago.
  The relationship between timing/Air Fuel Ratio/Coolant
temp is not a 36 degrees works for all Small Block Chevies.
It's easy to run too little timing/too rich which is safe to an
extent, but if too far off excessive carbon will keep the exhaust
valves from transferring enough heat away, and will burn,
coolant temps may be excessive, poor mileage, are all possible..
  Too much timing is really hard on bearings/oil temps, and cost
HP.  Again can have high coolant temps.
  I'd consider myself good at plugs readings but even with 20
odd years of doing it, rely more than ever on performance for
the final word, and with G-Techs, and other devices becoming
resonable I'd use one of them for WOT, and min TPS for cruise
timing.
  HTH  Bruce     Never hire a ferret (even if wearing a cone shaped
                          hat) to do a weasels job.