A couple of novice questions

R+C Webb cwebb at polarnet.com
Mon Feb 16 04:20:54 GMT 1998

Stop me if you are talking about potato chips or something ;-}

In the context of microcontroller interfacing, CE is usually
"Chip Enable" and it is a
line used to enable a particular device.

If you have wired up the address decoder to pull a line active
(usually low) when the address 8000h (as an example) is accessed,
this line would be tied to the chip's CE line. That way, whenever
the processor accesses address 8000h, this gets translated as
"hey, I'm talking to you" to the device.

As for OE, that's "output enable". Used when a whole bunch of
devices are hanging off the same buss. All of the devices would
load down the output of the one who was trying to talk, except
that the electronics is included on chip to tri-state them. They
are not high, they are not low, they are effectively disconnected
(the third state). The OE line is used to say to a particular
device "OK it's your turn" by turning on it's output drivers.