Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you deside

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 17 19:53:37 GMT 1998

Uhmmm. Bruce. At 1 bar of boost (that's 15 psi of presure right?) you
would double the volumetric efficiency of an engine.  Think about it.
Right now we are experiencing 1 atmosphere of presure (absolute) so if our
engine has a VE of 80% (for example) then when we add 1 atmosphere (bar) of
boost we will be putting twice as much air in as compared to the NA situation.

So our VE goes from 80% to 160%.  In the book 'maximum boost' by Corky Bell
he gives a rule of thumb:  Every 5 psi of boost results in an increase in
the VE by 33% so a 15 psi turbo will double the VE of any engine.

Ok flame on
jw