GM-HEI Modules

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Wed Feb 18 04:20:15 GMT 1998

bamcknig at postoffice.syspac.com wrote:

> Sandy
>
> I have adapted HEI to VW.  The small pins(2) get the AC voltage from
> the reluctor (maybe around 5v).  Check it with a scope as it is not a
> sine wave.  My understanding is that it has to go negative to turn
> off, so it may have an SCR(silicon controlled rectifier).  I don't
> think you have to worry about the coil drawing too much current.
> The old HEI transformer(coil) put out one of the hotest sparks going.
> Their problem is that if there is no load on them(spark plug), the
> voltage goes so hi that it arcs internally and ruins the coil.
>
> Bob McKnight
> Phx AZ
>
> PS If you have any details on the later modules, please share it.
> PPS To the best of my knowledge, they are just a switch.
There is a snmall amount of advance built into the module. With the ESC
disconnected, the spark advances something about 8 degrees? at speed. My
understanding is it has to do with the rate of rise of the voltage of
the pickup. The faster you spin the distributor, the faster the signal
reaches the "trigger point" of the module. This is similar in concept to
the Briggs and Straton Magnetron ignition, which provides, again, about
8 degrees of crankshaft advance.
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!