eec-iv question

TWright669 at aol.com TWright669 at aol.com
Wed Feb 18 06:08:02 GMT 1998

Hi,

I have some practical questions about the EEC FI system that I was hoping
someone might have the answers to.  I was thinking of modifying (as slightly
as possible!) an eec FI system to work on a non-ford engine.
  My motor is a Jag 6-cyl and the old L-jetronic system has gone haywire,
therefore I would like to replace it with something better.  I was thinking
the FI system off of a 3.8 or 4.0 v6 would be a prime candidate.
  The Questions:

1.  I would not need nor want to use (for simplicity's sake) the VSS,
EGR,BOO,ISC,CANP, or any other non-essential part of the system.  I want it to
be as simple (i.e. reliable) as possible and make as few modifications to my
car as possible to accomodate these things.  Would the EEC go into fits if I
simply left these things disconnected?  Am I going to have to break down and
pay $250 for a custom chip that disables these features?  (I'd really rather
not!)  Is there any way I can get around these things without programming
anything? (I have NO programming skills.)

2.Does anybody know what the PIP from the 4.0 (EDIS system) looks like?  is it
28 pulses per revolution or 3?  If I used the system off a 4.0 I would have to
simulate this signal.

3.(this one is a longshot, but I'll try anyway)  Is it possible that the EEC
would run with just the IDM (tach) signal? Even in just batch-fire mode?  I'd
really rather not even use the computer controled ignition timing if I can
avoid it, because then I would HAVE to buy one of those chips, cuz the Ford
timing would be ALL wrong.  Also, I would not have to modify the ford
distributer to work on my engine.  Actually, If there was a way to program the
computer to ignore the PIP and SPOUT and use only the IDM for timing the
actual fuel-injection, It would be worth buying a chip!

Thanks for any help!
Tom