Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Feb 18 19:44:37 GMT 1998

> At 12:33 PM 2/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >>It occurs to me, that you could make an electric supercharger (big one not
> >>the little ones some have now) by putting a generator where you would
> >>normally put the supercharger, and then putting an electric motor
> [huge snippage]
>
> >>WARNING 2 Cents worth comming<<
>
> I think the concenses was that a 50 Hp (or what ever) electric motor would
> be a bit on the large and heavy side. What was wrong with Turbo's and the
> plethora of Vortec style supercharges. They seem to work pretty well on
> ba-zillioons on cars. Have a problem with turbos, ask any Buick GN owner
> how well they work, have a problem with Vortec superchares ask any 'stang
> owner. The problems with both usually end up being poor tuning, and poor
> matching of components... both are art forms in themselves.
>
> Sandy

With the above theory on the electric you should be able to massivly
boost low end torque by getting the low rpm boost closer to the detonation
limit.  In some types of vehicles this would be desirable.  I have noticed
that a vortech engine with x hp is not as fast as similar built up engine
with the same x hp.  Mainly because the vortech has a good high rpm curve
but the built up has alot better low/mid end torque.  The vortech peak
close to redline, and the builtup peak quite a bit lower, allowing
more useable hp.

				Roger