Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Wed Feb 18 20:17:26 GMT 1998

>With the above theory on the electric you should be able to massivly
>boost low end torque by getting the low rpm boost closer to the detonation
>limit.  In some types of vehicles this would be desirable.  I have noticed
>that a vortech engine with x hp is not as fast as similar built up engine
>with the same x hp.  Mainly because the vortech has a good high rpm curve
>but the built up has alot better low/mid end torque.  The vortech peak
>close to redline, and the builtup peak quite a bit lower, allowing
>more useable hp.
>
>				Roger

I'm not sure that I would totally agree, but I guess that just me. For one
thing a built engine typically sacrafices low end for ultimate top end HP.
Also I would expect that the torque output from the blown moto will be
higher and broader then that of the non-blown. One thing that may matter if
you are talking about 1/4 mile times, or road race stuff. Ultimatly a lot
of things can make either motor go fast, but how it is tuned, and the rest
of the package, ie, chassis, tires, gears, intake, exaust will drastically
alter the way something runs. I prefer the High Compression normally
aspriated route my self, but I have been toying with the idea of slapping
on a turbo to my small 2.3L 6cyl BMW when it gets time for the rebuild, as
it is hard to get large increases in HP without the aid of some compressed
air!

Sandy