Compressor efficency and C++ programming

Christopher E. Hill chill6 at utk.edu
Wed Feb 18 21:13:06 GMT 1998

All the talk about super chargers and turbos needs to be cleared up.  Allot
of discussion has helped, but one point has not been addressed.  The
efficency is just the amount of heating over what the ideal value should
be.  If you assume air to be an Ideal gas the efficency of the compressor is:

efficency= T2s - T1
           --------
           T2a - T1

T2s= Ideal Temperature at state 2
T1 = Temperature at state 1
T2a= Actual Temperater at state 2

T2s= T1*(p2/p1)^(k-1/k)
k=1.4 for normal temps
p2= outlet pressure
p1= inlet pressure

All temps are in K and pressure in Pa.

The positive displacement is just how the compressor increases the
pressure.  Positive displacement is a roots blower, which has about half
the efficiency of a turbo.

As a conclusion, efficency for a compressor is just a ratio of ideal to
actual temperature difference.

On the C++ programming, I have a project due in which I need to do math
computations.  I have Borland C++, and I am a beginner on programming with
it.  I am hoping someone could offer some advice on learning how to do math
computations using this language (i.e. a book or tutorial on the web).

Thanks,

Christopher E. Hill--chill6 at utk.edu