TYPE I / TYPE II DIS C3I MODULE WIRING

Scott Shotton stucky at interaccess.com
Thu Feb 19 05:30:33 GMT 1998

Shannen Durphey wrote:

>  From  1986 Olds Service manual:
>
> "Two style Module/Coil assemblies are used; 'TYPE I and TYPE II'.  The
> wiring harness and sensors are interchangeable between both types."
>
> Digging further... it appears that the only difference is type I has a
> power wire in connector location P to power the coils, which type II
> does not use.  Even looks like units can be interchanged between
> sequential fire and batch fire engines.  Some wires are omitted in
> batch fire applications, mainly those for separate cam sensor.
> Diagnostic charts differ some also.   I don't know what vehicle used
> the code "C" engine... what's year, make, model?

In my last post I stated that there were differences between modules and
this information contradicts.  Let me explain:  if the same car, same
year, switched mid production to the Type two coils, the only difference
is the additional wire of which Shannen spoke (typed).  If you switch
modules and coils from different vehicles (ie 93 Olds Silouhette 3800
vin C) then the modifications I mentioned will apply.

Sorry for the confusion.

Scott