GM-HEI Modules

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Thu Feb 19 05:32:59 GMT 1998

bruce plecan wrote:

> ref Bob McKnight:
>   Had a module go out on a X1/9, instead of waiting 5-7 days
> grabbed a 4 pin HEI, and mounted it onna heat sink, had it
> wrong, and the car hardly ran, flipped the reluctor wires instant
> success,  used a timing light and the totals were different,
> always tought it might come in handy for a boost/nos retard
> function.  (this was years ago but I doubt gm would change
> the module to correct this, but weirder things have happened)
> Bruce   If ya see the policeman drop his coffee getting to
>             his car, as you go by, he or one of his pals will stop
>             ya.  I haven't found any difference in this situation
>             if I had my cone shaped hat on, or just on the seat
>             beside me.....

  That explains it.  I had one hell of a driveability problem on a 90
Chev pickup.  Spark patterns would go haywire when module took over
timing.  Vehicle ran OK with bypass disconnected, but pattern was
still very strange.  When I finally found it, someone had replaced the
module, the pickup coil connector was broken, and the wires were
reversed.  I'll never forget those symptoms.

Shannen