HEI control modules

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Thu Feb 19 05:53:25 GMT 1998

Ref. James Seabolt

  You need more than the HEI control module to make an HEI system.  The coil is
the major contributor to the hot spark.  Without it, you have an HEI controlled
Fiat ignition system.

Father's Ford probably ran a magneto ignition.  Mags make HOT sparks.  Been
bitten a couple of times. {: O

That ESC system was used on 305ci pickups, and is a pain in the....  It is
basically a timing retard device, as the distributors retained the vacuum and
mech. advances.  I've only seen the types with an extra 4 pin connector, and I
looked into using that type module in an older style distributor.  I decided
that I'd have to grind a notch in the outside of the housing for it to fit.
Also, the control boxes are prone to failure, leaving you with a vehicle that
won't start, or mysteriously stalls then restarts.  If you want schematics, I
can try to dig them up.