TYPE I / TYPE II DIS C3I MODULE WIRING

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Thu Feb 19 08:23:29 GMT 1998

--------------E3CFE3F9230C27B0AEB2AEEB

TBK wrote:

>  Thanks for the reply, Shannon! I found that sentence in
> the 1986 service manual. It appears that there are
> different versions of the Type I and Type II. Said another
> way, there are two styles of Type I and Type II. I need to
> get the part number from the pack and see if it is the
> compatable Type II with the stock Type I. Terry Kelley

  Yup.  Went down and got 89 manual with VIN C engine, and
sho'nuff, they're different.  Hmmm.  Lessee, that hat's here
somewhere...

Shannen

--------------E3CFE3F9230C27B0AEB2AEEB

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
&nbsp;

<P>TBK wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Thanks
for the reply, Shannon!</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>I
found that sentence in the 1986 service manual. It appears that there are
different versions of the Type I and Type II. Said another way, there are
two styles of Type I and Type II. I need to get the part number from the
pack and see if it is the compatable Type II with the stock Type I.</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>Terry
Kelley</FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><B><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1>-----Original
Message-----</FONT></FONT></B>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1><B>From: </B>Shannen Durphey &lt;<A HREF="mailto:shannen at mcn.net">shannen at mcn.net</A>></FONT></FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1><B>To: </B><A HREF="mailto:diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu">diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu</A>
&lt;<A HREF="mailto:diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu">diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu</A>></FONT></FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1><B>Date: </B>Wednesday, February 18,
1998 9:38 PM</FONT></FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1><B>Subject: </B>Re: TYPE I / TYPE
II DIS C3I MODULE WIRING</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;

<P>TBK wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE = CITE>&nbsp;<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>I have
a VIN 3&nbsp; 3.8L Buick V6.</FONT></FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>It
appears the Type I C3I coil pack (opposite side output) was swapped to
a Type II (same side output) to correct a miss in the engine..</FONT></FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Can someone confirm, deny, or supply
dis-information regarding the wiring being different between the two.</FONT></FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>I suspect the two can not be swapped
without changing the sensor, EST, bypass, etc wiring.</FONT></FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Drawing
appear to show them as being different.</FONT></FONT> <FONT SIZE=-1>Are
they direct swaps?</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>True or false.</FONT></FONT>
<FONT SIZE=-1>Terry Kelley</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;From&nbsp; 1986 Olds Service manual:

<P>"Two style Module/Coil assemblies are used; 'TYPE I and TYPE II'.&nbsp;
The wiring harness and sensors are interchangeable between both types."

<P>Digging further... it appears that the only difference is type I has
a power wire in connector location P to power the coils, which type II
does not use.&nbsp; Even looks like units can be interchanged between sequential
fire and batch fire engines.&nbsp; Some wires are omitted in batch fire
applications, mainly those for separate cam sensor.&nbsp; Diagnostic charts
differ some also.&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't know what vehicle used the code "C"
engine... what's year, make, model?

<P>Shannen</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; Yup.&nbsp; Went down and got 89 manual with VIN C engine, and sho'nuff,
they're different.&nbsp; Hmmm.&nbsp; Lessee, that hat's here somewhere...

<P>Shannen
</BODY>
</HTML>