Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

Clint Corbin ccorbin at Rt66.com
Thu Feb 19 09:17:16 GMT 1998

At 11:54 PM 2/18/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Think someone already thought of this, too many losses between motor,
>generator, pump.  But just another point, if turbo's are better for high
>power, why don't top fuellers use turbo's rather than a supercharger as they
>are not worried about low rpm power, but only mid to high end power ??
>
>Dan     dzorde at geocities.com

I would guess time and controlability.  While it is true that the engines
are reved up on the line, they are not putting out nearly the full amount
of exhaust gasses that they do once they are running.  When you are
talking about a five second run,  you couldn't very well wait for a couple
of seconds for the turbo to spool up, could you?  As for the controlability
part, it would be very, very difficult to get consistent power from a turbo
with an electronic control.  As electronic controlers (monitors, yes,
controlers, no) are not allowed in Top Fuel drag racing, it would be
almost impossible to get a good, consistent run.  Then again, maybe
all the Top Fuel crews are drulling to get there hands on a turbo, but
the NHRA has made them illegal.....

Clint