Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Thu Feb 19 10:08:50 GMT 1998

>When you are talking about a five second run,  you couldn't very well wait
>for a couple
>of seconds for the turbo to spool up, could you?
Simple answer, inject fuel into the exhaust manifold, which would
effectively make the turbo into a turbo jet, the turbine would rev to
its maximum, if the correct ammount of fuel were to be used. and thus
the boost will be at a constant maximum.  You will also get a 5-10 foot
flame out of the exhaust pipe, I know this as a fact, as a friend of
mine actually did this to his car.

>Then again, maybe
>all the Top Fuel crews are drulling to get there hands on a turbo, but
>the NHRA has made them illegal.....
Or perhaps its because the Nitro that those boys use burns to leave
Nitric acid, which would kill the engine if they didn't strip it down
between runs, having to strip, and clean a turbo would mean more time or
one more person in the pit crew, plus, lets face it the Top fuelers are
not cutting edge with their technology are they?  Don't get me wrong, I
am not slagging them off, there is a reason for this, and that is
simplicity of design is more robust in an engine like that.