Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Thu Feb 19 15:49:19 GMT 1998

> -> I think the concenses was that a 50 Hp (or what ever) electric motor
> -> would be a bit on the large and heavy side.
>
>  I have a 40 HP GE motor in the shop.  It's about two feet around, two
> and a half feet long, takes 220 or 440 volt three phase AC power, and
> weighs somewhat over a thousand pounds.
>
>  It'd probably work fine for an electric supercharger, but you'd need
> one hell of an extension cord.

Remember though, the electric cars have motors in the class we are
talking about and they are not anywhere near that size.  So it can
be done.  Also That motor is probably made to sustain that 40 hp
without problems for years on continous running, so if someone
was willing to have a shorter lifetime it would be able to be
a smaller motor.  I have seen a fire pump motor about the same size
you are describing running three-phase and putting out more like
140 hp.  So I think it has something to do with how long you
want it to last.

				Roger