plenum volume

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Fri Feb 20 18:11:56 GMT 1998

bruce plecan wrote:

> ref Paul Tholey:
>    IMHO, for a SBC runners should be thought of more in
> this manner.
>    Large cross sectional area runners are for better cylinder filling at
>        high rpm.
>    Shorter runners enable a motor to rev quicker.
>    Long runners help to minimize reversion.  Reversion
>    can truely hinder MAF readings.
> (needless to stay the inverse apply)
> So a vehicle with a wide ratio gear box, and lower
>    (numerically) gears would need to min reversion
>    (long runners), and would not need to change rpm
>    quickly.
> Part of the reasoning for this is the Can-Am big blocks
> of the mid/late 60's, really long IR with huge cross-
> sectional areas.
>   It sorta follows the flow, of what most people do/think
> but I like my tweaks.
>   Bruce
> Any others with other thoughts?.

On the topic that started all this - supercharged engines and the
"spikes" of overboost, the runners become irrelevent, to a large degree.
A good plenum of 1.5X displacement or better is all you really need.
With port injection, a bit of "tip in" driveability problems can be
expected with a large plenum, but hey, ya can't have it both ways, can
ya?
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!