Rods

Carl Summers InTech at writeme.com
Fri Feb 20 20:47:42 GMT 1998

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> >    Don't forget that too much boost at low RPM will cause great stress on
> >the connecting rods and crankshaft.  Boosted motors need the inertia of the
> >pistons to balance out some of the gas loads.  My question is,  why do you
> >want to have all of this complication?
>
> Unless I misunderstood something, I was under the impression from Corky
> Bell's Turbo book, that higher boosts at lower RPMs caused less stress than
> less boost at higher RPMs, because most of the rod stress was from the
> piston being jerked down immediately after the exhaust cycle.
>
> Frederic Breitwieser
> Bridgeport, CT 06606
> http://www.xephic.dynip.com/
>
> 1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
> 1989 4-Door Softtop Humvee (Hummer)
> 2000 Buick GTP (Mid-engine track car)
>
> ---

I have bent a stock chevy rod by putting 15lbs boost at 2000 rpm in too
heavy of a vehicle with no traction problem(oops) but Oliver
rods,splayed caps and steel crank fixed that...problem was it was a 94
full size blazer with 3.42 gears and 32" tires.383 5.7 rod  6300lbs
w/big stereo.stock convertor(while it lasted) ended up having to slow
the blower down too...blah blah etc.