TYPE I / TYPE II DIS C3I MODULE WIRING

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Fri Feb 20 23:14:22 GMT 1998

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Clare Snyder wrote:

> Scott Shotton wrote:
> >
> > Trust me.  The 3.8 vin 3 has nylon teeth on the cam gear.  Like I said ,
> > the replacements are all steel.
> >
> Those Nylon gears make very expensive popcorn when they let go.
> In my opinion, they should ALL be replaced with steel gears as soon as
> the engine is off warranty. If you modify the engine at all, that means
> RIGHT NOW. I cannot see why GM continues to install that JUNK in their
> rngines. The question is not if it will fail, but when. On an
> interference engine, it is definitely bad news.

 I assume what is meant are the aluminum/nylon cam gears used by the
General and other domestic mfrs. They do not last when the oil is not
changed regularly, or in extremely high RPM situations. However, I
remember reading years ago that they [when used with the standard, narrow
silent chain] absorbed less power than any other combination, including
roller chains. So, for racing, an idea is to use them, and change often.

Jim Davies