Dwell and HEI's

HeinGer at aol.com HeinGer at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 04:39:03 GMT 1998

<<
 	My reason for asking this is due to the limited RPM I have read about the GM
HEI. My V-8 Datsun Z seems to run out of ign. at about 5500 RPM but my engine
will run to 6500+ RPM. I have read the Jacobs guide to optimizing your ign.
and I am going to buy the GM performance coil Jacobs recommends for the HEI
but it did not mention anything about improving the coil saturation time. I am
not really sure if this is really a issue but I have also read that the HEI
falls off at higher RPM's due mainly to the module not being able to keep up.

My 66 GTO gets shifted regularly at 6500 rpm, runs 115 mph in the quarter
(4100 lbs with me in it), and relies on a completely stock HEI.  How bad can
it be at high rpm?  I've heard that the good modules (pre computer-controlled)
have a "990" stamped on them. Also, it's critical that you put heat sink paste
on the back of the module.
Heinrich Gerhardt