Dwell and HEI's

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Sat Feb 21 07:42:35 GMT 1998

--------------FE3ABA44DCF94A73DC917270

Paul Ruschman wrote:

>         My reason for asking this is due to the limited RPM I have read about the GM HEI. My V-8 Datsun Z seems to run out of ign. at about 5500 RPM but my engine will run to 6500+ RPM. I have read the Jacobs guide to optimizing your ign. and I am going to buy the GM performance coil Jacobs recommends for the HEI but it did not mention anything about improving the coil saturation time. I am not really sure if this is really a issue but I have also read that the HEI falls off at higher RPM's due mainly to the module not being able to keep up.
>         Any thoughts?

A couple.  Make sure the power supply wire to the cap and coil is large enough.  Small gauge wire can cause problems.  Watch out for performance coils which mount in large cap distributor.  They can trigger the module while the rotor is between plug wire terminals.  Eventually, it welds the advance mechanism to the shaft.  It's happened to me.  MSD sells a custom module if you're worried about it.

>                 BRAAP
>
>         Life is a journey, enjoy it in a  HIGH powered Datsun!

Gotcha.  72 240z, 350HP327, Muncie 4spd, and lotsa lotsa speeding tickets.

"But officer, give me a break!  I could have outrun you but I chose to pull over."

Shannen

--------------FE3ABA44DCF94A73DC917270

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Paul Ruschman wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My reason
for asking this is due to the limited RPM I have read about the GM HEI.
My V-8 Datsun Z seems to run out of ign. at about 5500 RPM but my engine
will run to 6500+ RPM. I have read the Jacobs guide to optimizing your
ign. and I am going to buy the GM performance coil Jacobs recommends for
the HEI but it did not mention anything about improving the coil saturation
time. I am not really sure if this is really a issue but I have also read
that the HEI falls off at higher RPM's due mainly to the module not being
able to keep up.
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Any thoughts?
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
A couple.&nbsp; Make sure the power supply wire to the cap and coil is
large enough.&nbsp; Small gauge wire can cause problems.&nbsp; Watch out
for performance coils which mount in large cap distributor.&nbsp; They
can trigger the module while the rotor is between plug wire terminals.&nbsp;
Eventually, it welds the advance mechanism to the shaft.&nbsp; It's happened
to me.&nbsp; MSD sells a custom module if you're worried about it.&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
BRAAP

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Life is a journey, enjoy
it in a&nbsp; HIGH powered Datsun!
<BR><A HREF="http://www.datsuns.com/projects/paulrproject.htm"></A>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
Gotcha.&nbsp; 72 240z, 350HP327, Muncie 4spd, and lotsa lotsa speeding
tickets.

<P>"But officer, give me a break!&nbsp; I could have outrun you but I chose
to pull over."

<P>Shannen</HTML>