KISS System

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Sun Feb 22 21:06:24 GMT 1998

The Bosch CIS system has a few subtleties that provide it more information
than you think.  Two that come to mind are WOT and acceleration enrichment.
With a 4cyl engine, the air flow through the throttle pulsates with each
cylinder.  At part throttle these pulses are not seen by the air flow
sensor.  At WOT they are and the result is an average sensor position that
indicates more air flow than there actually is which provides a built-in
enrichment.  This only works on 4cyl engines.  6 and 8 cyl air flow is too
smooth.  Systems for these engines have a separate WOT enrichment.
Acceleration enrichment is handled by keeping the plenum at 1.5 times the
cylinder displacement (see related thread in this group).  When the throttle
is opened suddenly, the partial vacuum in the plenum must be filled in
addition to the additional air ingested by the engine.  This causes
enrichment for a short period of time until the plenum reaches steady state.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>