Monitoring O2 sensor/voltage

Zack zubenubi at inetport.com
Mon Feb 23 05:53:31 GMT 1998

Bruce,

Actually, the way I understand it from what's been said, ~0.45 volts is
applied to the sensor through some large resistance (~1 megohm).  The
resistance of the sensor when cold is extremely high, it's basically an
open circuit, so the ECU sees steady ~0.45 volts as long as the sensor is
cold (or if there's an open circuit caused by a faulty connection or
sensor).  Once the sensor heats up, its resistance drops to a value much
lower than that 1 megohm, and it also starts generating a voltage
proportional to the O2 in the exhaust, so the voltage the ECU sees at that
point is basically just the voltage generated by the sensor itself.

Zack