Turbo vs Super. was variable comp...variable disp....

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Mon Feb 23 16:05:13 GMT 1998

> On Feb 22, 11:09pm, gt bradley wrote:
> >   One idea I liked, (and is commercially available as an automotive after
> > market modification),  is to have a turbocharger with a stator? (spinning
> part
> > of an electric motor) built into the turbine.  For acceleration from low
> > rpm's, current is applied and the unit effectively becomes a centrifugal
> > supercharger, once the engine speed builds, the exhaust takes over and it
> > functions like a turbo (current no longer applied, and the stator spins
> free).
> >
> > Since this is used only for the initial spin-up a much smaller motor is used
> > than would be required for a full electric supercharger (already dismissed by
> > this thread), and with a low duty-cycle, many of the mechanical/electrical
> > problems become solvable.
> >
> > The initial application is for Bus/Trucks, but auto-enthusists are fitting it
> > to street cars.  I'm not sure if any work has be done on a control system
> (for
> > the car application) or if it is just a switch for use when waiting for the
> > street light to turn green.
>
> That's quite an interesting concept.  How do they handle the heat issues
> with the electrics getting toasty via the exhaust gas in the same housing,
> though?  Seems to me that would be a pretty expensive proposition.

I think they have a web site (www.turbodyne.com).  They claim to have been
doing electric in turbos for quite a while.  They also bought superpac the
company that makes the electric superchargers.  I would assume they lengthen
the shaft of the motor enough to keep it away from the heat, at least
that is how I would have done it.  Though most of their stuff seems to
be more targeted toward diesel type engines.

				Roger