Electric-powered Turbocharger

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Feb 23 19:20:24 GMT 1998

>   One idea I liked, (and is commercially available as an automotive after
> market modification),  is to have a turbocharger with a stator? (spinning
> of an electric motor) built into the turbine.  For acceleration from low
> rpm's, current is applied and the unit effectively becomes a centrifugal
> supercharger, once the engine speed builds, the exhaust takes over and it
> functions like a turbo (current no longer applied, and the stator spins

I like this idea very much, and I can't imagine this being terribly
complicated to retrofit - its a matter of having a drive shaft, attached to
a clutch (an A/C clutch), at the end of the shaft, which if its about 1-2'
long, wouldn't experience too much heat damage from the turbocharger.
While low RPMs are happening, whereas the turbo is spinning under electric
power, you'd have negative back pressure, and boost going in.  I'd bet
there are some noticable advantages to this.

Something to definately try!!!

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/