KISS System

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Feb 23 19:20:24 GMT 1998

>    This system worked very well, was efficient, and very drivable
>which suggests to me that this in enough information to do the job
>well.  The objective after all is to maintain a given air fuel ratio.

The only thing I see with this, as a disadantage, is that the ECM or
mechanical system has to make assumptions about the running environment -
either through a map located in the ECM PROM, or some other means.  Though,
what is a carbuerator?  Its basically an assumption process.  This is why
carbs have problems when they are moved signiicantlly higher or lower
altitude wide - its environment changed too drastically.

>It seems to me that if one could mimic this type of system the program
>necessary to control the injection should be very simple.  The control
>of fuel flow in this system is accomplished by designing the taper of
>the servo throat so that it works correctly.  Because of this design

It would be very simple, and for a vehicle or engine that's used across a
smaller powerband (RPM range) or remains in a fairly constant environment,
I'd have to agree - it would be a very good solution to Fuel injection.

>    I may be stupid about electronics, but it seems to me that most of
>the EFI systems out there are way too complex.  Anybody out there
>building a KISS EFI system that doesn't require operator intervention?

The reason why a lot of the OEM vehicles are so complex, is the reduced
emmissions requirements, as well as a universal altitude application.  Any
vehicle sold by an automanufacturer has to be able to run in the Rockies as
well as at sea level.

Sometimes its cheaper to make something more complex, and be able to make a
million identical systems, rather than deal with the headache of a less
complex system, that requires tuning, modifications, and upgrades depending
where it goes.

Of course, I'm exaggerating to illustrate a point :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental